Thursday 16 December 2010

A Kurang Manis Christmas Songlist

Too many repetitions of over-the-top Christmas songs, symphonies, hymns, carols, choruses, canticles, duets, riffs, ditties, dingles and jingles can drive anyone a little mad (as if the ubiquitous tackiness isn't enough!).

As a little gift, I've curated a small selection of new and/or less-known Christmas songs that will not give your head diabetes. Well, except maybe the last one.

"Always in Season" by Pomplamoose
First up, from the talented duo of Nataly Dawn and Jack Comte, an original Christmas song which has plenty of sentiment without sentimentality. Check out their other songs!

"Put the Lights on the Tree" by Sufjan Stevens
Here's a cute little song by one of my faves, complete with cute video.
Incidentally, I have his Christmas album. 

"Christmas, Christmas" by Gerald Ko feat Jackie Kim
Another original by talented YouTube singers. Earnest, in a good way. Again, check out his other songs!

For amazing folksy covers of Christmas song, visit Caleb & the Caroling Caravan's page here, where you can download part of their 2009 album for free. "Christmas Don't Be Late" by Alvin & The Chipmunks is given a completely new (and amazingly good) spin by them, I could not imagine it was actually a cover! It's definitely worth a listen.

"Grown Up Christmas List" by Natalie Cole
Lastly, a song that is actually naive and sickly sweet. I didn't  like it when I first heard it, but it grew on me after hearing it being practiced a dozen times for my office's Christmas lunch show (I am proud to say that in the name of entertainment, I made a complete fool of myself singing the Wondergirl's "Nobody" with a band while 4 of my female colleagues danced the moves—ah, the things I do for my firm!). It was written originally by David Foster and has been covered by many from Clay Aiken to Michael BublĂ©, but Ms. Cole was the one who first popularised it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment