Saturday 4 June 2011

I Used To Think Busy People Were Crazy

…now I’m one of them.

Thankfully though, I was unemployed today—I was on leave. I managed to get sufficient and restful sleep, regular meals, got lots of chores done, ate spiritual food at Friday Bible class and enjoyed the whole day free of clients. Ah, bliss. I thought I’d drop a note here, after leaving this space dusty for so long. I’m sorry I’ve been away, but you’ll be glad to know I’m still alive and kickin’, often all over the place.

Life has been moving at a maddening, breathless rate, with lots of work (mid-year is usually busiest for my department) and endless out-of-work assignments, commitments, projects, plays, events, parties, get-togethers, etc. I’m walking on a tight rope of time, balancing a pole with a job on one end and on the other, my insatiable need to create and express, meet friends, try new things and have fun.

Often I’ll be pulling out my already thinning hair due to this grievance or that, and when you meet me I’ll start complaining about incoming stomach ulcers, but on the rare chances I do get to sit back reflect (like today), I’ve little to truly complain about. Of course I don’t enjoy the stress or lack of time, but on a deeper level, I am thankful to be employed (or more accurately, paid). I’m blessed with supportive firends (even if I don't seem them nearly as often as I wish to), family and church members. I’m lucky to have creative outlets I can turn to (even if not all of them can be fully realized). Yes, I don't get to do nearly as many things as I wish, but I’d personally rather have too little time to do too many things than too much time to do nothing. God has been gracious.

Just some updates:

I’m now also a writer at WAMM now. It’s We Are Malaysian Made, a site dedicated to Malaysian arts, not a George Michael tribute band. I contribute pieces on theatre, and the next one will be an interview with a set designer. To those of you who are visiting from WAMM, hello there, please drop by again.

Speaking of theatre, my gosh, I’ve just watched so much quality theatre over the last month that I can truly say I’m very proud of our local talent, which has grown from strength to strength. And speaking of talent, oh look: plug-in time!

The Platform @ klpac, the open-mic night for theatre which I co-ordinate, is running this Monday night at 8.30pm, indicine, Level 2 of the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre, Sentul Park. It’s a brilliant showcase of new talent in acting, writing and directing. Best of all, it’s FREE, so make sure you come! Hey, supporting new talents beats being stuck in an inane traffic jam.

Ah oh look again: plug in #2. I will be directing a play for next month’s Platform on July 4th (the final installation, which I'll also host). Make sure you come for that!

I’m also working on some short film projects with a budding film-maker. By ‘budding’ I mean he’s never done this before, but I have faith in him. Watch this space, Imma gonna be famous yo.

I also have a lot (and I mean a lot) of other stuff I want/plan/have to do in many different areas, but I shall refrain from listing them here lest you think I’ve gone bonkers and have declared myself an idiot-ubermensch.

Yet amidst all this crazy work and play, something, or rather, someone dropped by, quite unexpectedly. An old spirit and a comforting wind, here to stay for a while. I’m looking forward to spending time with this star of mine. :)

Peace,
Josh

0 comments:

Post a Comment