Monday 23 February 2009

Patience

I waited till I was grown up: 12, 13. Then 15, 16. Then 18. Then 21.
Then 30. Then 40. Then 50.

I waited till I was told what to do,
then I waited for people to stop telling me what to do.
I waited till I finished my chores,
then I waited till I could get someone else to do them.

I waited to discover myself. I waited for others to discover me.
I waited for respect. I waited for recognition.

I waited for inspiration,
for my pen to catch fire and my brush to strike like lightning.
I waited for the melody, then I waited for the right words.
I waited for the light, then I waited for the right model.

I waited for a reason, a calling from God, an angel's touch, the voice within.
I waited for a dream, then direction, then motivation, then ability, then influence, then power.

I waited for my leaders to lead. I waited for them to keep their promises.
I waited for peace. I waited for tolerance. I waited for justice. I waited for freedom.
I waited for the bad things to go away and I waited for the bad people to fall down.
I waited for my hero, I waited for my saviour.

I told myself to wait till I finished school, till I got a job, till I got a car, till I got a house, till I fell in love, till I got a girl, till I got married, till I was rich, till I was retired.
Till the time was right.

I waited all my life, and life passed me by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment